fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Operation Pull-Over outside of bars, why not?
Sobriety Checkpoints

I am in favor of sobriety checkpoints. 16% 16% ( 1 )
I am NOT in favor of sobriety checkpoints. 83% 83% ( 5 )

Total Votes : 6
Post Operation Pull-Over outside of bars, why not? 
While talking with a friend in a bar a few weeks ago, he made the joke "if we aren't supposed to drink and drive, why do bars have such large parking lots?" and it got this reply from me "if drinking and driving is such a problem, why don't we have random operation pull-overs at all exits or random bars?". This simple statement ignited a very colorful and humorous discussion with about thirty people throughout the night, and most of the understandable and respectable comments were to the effect of "I would call a cab, not drink, or have someone else drive".

Seriously if I was still a drinker and I knew there was a chance that the P.D. had set up a check point when I was in the bar, and I knew that it could and would happen at any bar, I either wouldn't drink in the first place or would have a D.D.

Now my obvious question is why don't we do this?

Post Sobriety Checkpoints 
Nice touch, FWPD moderator, adding the poll to this question. I would like to qualify my “no” vote by saying that I have no problem at all with the police maintaining a strong presence near bars or any other areas where past evidence indicates there is some type of criminal activity going on. However, I strongly oppose any incursions on a person’s liberties without cause.

Post Re: Operation Pull-Over outside of bars, why not? 
Jason wrote:
While talking with a friend in a bar a few weeks ago, he made the joke "if we aren't supposed to drink and drive, why do bars have such large parking lots?" and it got this reply from me "if drinking and driving is such a problem, why don't we have random operation pull-overs at all exits or random bars?". This simple statement ignited a very colorful and humorous discussion with about thirty people throughout the night, and most of the understandable and respectable comments were to the effect of "I would call a cab, not drink, or have someone else drive".

Seriously if I was still a drinker and I knew there was a chance that the P.D. had set up a check point when I was in the bar, and I knew that it could and would happen at any bar, I either wouldn't drink in the first place or would have a D.D.

Now my obvious question is why don't we do this?

I am not in any way, shape, or form advocating drinking and driving. It is a quick way to destroy lives. That being said, I believe that sobriety checkpoints are flirting with the 4th Ammendment in a dangerous way. It seems to me that probable cause would need to be established before stopping random vehicles. A good idea? Maybe. Constitutional? Who knows.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum