fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Headlamps too bright?
Post Headlamps too bright? 
i was just wondering if there is a law against headlights being too bright? I just recently installed High Intensity Discharge Headlamps and foglamps in my vehicle. I bought them legally for my vehicle on eBay. They are designed for use in the vehicle, but other motorists flash their brights at me. Just want some feedback. Thanks in advance

As long as the lights have been approved by the Federal Government for use on the highways you are legal.

Post headlamps to bright 
factory installed HID headlamps have a cutoff along the top line so they don't blind oncoming traffic..Cheap HID's do not offer this cutoff line and do blind oncoming traffic..There really is nothing you can do except expect to have oncoming drivers continue to flash you,because you really are blinding them..Also just because the ebay seller says their lights are dot approved..doesn't make it so

Don't forget that headlights and foglights are supposed to be set up in a specific way. It takes very little for a headlight to become misaligned. Misaligned lights can blind people more easily, if they are pointing towards oncoming traffic.

If you check the alignment of the headlights and the foglights, it may reduce average number of flashes you receive.

Many mechanics can check your light alignments. You can also purchase a book (ex. Chilton or Haynes) that details how to align them yourself. Aligning your headlights is normally an easy task. I've never had foglights or read up on them, so I don't know the ease or lack thereof in aligning them.

Do you drive with your foglights on when it's not at all foggy? They're call foglights for a reason and should not be used when not appropriate just because they help you see better.

Are the lights aimed correctly?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum