fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Possibility of being a part time student/officer.
Post Possibility of being a part time student/officer. 
I currently am a full time working adult as well as part time student. While I have been moved on to the next step in the application process, a huge concern for me is being able to continue my education. I would imagine that during training/academy there wouldn't be time for collegiate studies as well. However, upon graduating the academy and becoming a probationary officer are there any considerations/programs from officers who are continuing their education? If not, is it still feasible to work in 6 hours of class time a week with an officer's schedule?

Actually some colleges accept our training in the academy for college credit. It depends on the institution as to how much. Otherwise you would need to work your schooling around your work schedule. We at any given time have many officers continuing education while employed with us.

So does this mean you guys offer part time police officers? I'm currently in high school and want to be a police officer as soon as possible but I'll be 23-24 before i graduate college for law enforcement. Could i get hired as a part time officer then once I'm done become a full time officer?

No, there are no part-time policing opportunities with the Fort Wayne Police Department.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1