fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Snow plowing strobe lights
Post Snow plowing strobe lights 
I own a snow plowing buisness and had strobe flashers installed in the front head lights as well as the rear tail lights. Last year while we were plowing a addition a Fwpd was driving by and seemed to almost stop and want to talk to us orI should just say he seemed to stay around the area while we were trying to remove tons of snow. I was told by a fellow snow plower that he was pulled over and told he must remove his strobes. Is this true or not? We only have clear strobes in the front and the ones in the tail lights are red due to being in the tail lights. The only time I have used these without a plow on the truck is to help a guy on I69 change a tire at night this past summer.

I have looked throughout the State Law book and find nothing that makes it illegal for this type of use.

Post Call from the sidelines. 
I think your key here is "composite beam" this is a filliment light and not a strobe. The installation inside the headlight would be too bright for stock lighting.Plus the fact that the lights would not be in their factory "dim" setting would easily allow a citation under failure to dim on the roadway and shoulder. The beam angle and alignment would be in violation as well. These lights are dangerous to oncoming traffic.

IC 9-21-7-5
Lights; distribution of beam; direction; illumination of objects; reduction of glare
Sec. 5. (a) Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated on a roadway or shoulder adjacent to a roadway during the times specified in section 2 of this chapter, the person who drives the motor vehicle shall use a distribution of light or composite beam directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle.
(b) Whenever a person who drives a vehicle described in subsection (a) approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred (500) feet, the person shall use a distribution of light or composite beam aimed so that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light or composite beam specified in IC 9-19-6-20 is considered to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading.
(c) Except when overtaking and passing another vehicle, whenever the person who drives a vehicle described in subsection (a) follows another vehicle within two hundred (200) feet to the rear of

the other vehicle, the person shall use a distribution of light permissible under this title other than the uppermost distribution of light specified in IC 9-19-6-20.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum