fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ride along
Post Ride along 
I have been trying to do my homework as my dream as always been to become a police officer. The one thing I keep hearing is to do as many ride alongs as possible. I was wondering if one ridealong a year meant one per department or what. I have a ridealong with a patrol officer and was wondering if I could do a ride along with a sergeant? Also try a few ride alongs with other parts of the department like k-9 ect. Or do I have to wait 1 year until I try a new department?

Thanks,
Justin

One ride along per year. That year starts the day you ride. If you ride on Saturday, August 16, 2008 then you would be eligible to ride again until August 16, 2009.

Post Ride along 
At what age may you do this?

Depending on how old you are, the Fort Wayne Student Police program might be worth a shot. You will get to learn a lot about how law enforcement works, and do lots of ride-alongs, too (once you qualify).

Post Ride Along 
You can also ride with other agencies other than FWPD.

Can You Do A Ride Along Even If You Got A Criminal Background?

We do a thorough criminal history check on everyone requesting to do a ride along. If the individual has a criminal history it is evaluated based on the nature of the crime, the number of arrests, and so on. The chances of riding along with an officer of our department are diminished greatly when there is a criminal history.

Post Ride along 
I was just informed that the FWPD has temporarily stopped the ride along program do to budget constraints. Is this true?

Can You Choose The Officer You Want To Ride Along With?

Indeed, provided that officer agrees to allow the citizen to ride with he or she.

I am interested in doing a ride along. Seeing that I have a valid handgun permit, would I be allowed to carry my firearm in the event of actually getting the Ride along?

Post Ride Along 
I read in your frequently asked questions about doing a ride along. It said that you do a criminal background check for applicants if i read it correctly. When i was 18 i received a class A Misdemeanor. I am now 21, would that prohibit me from doing a ride along with a police officer?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum