fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Traffic Stop Normal?
Post Traffic Stop Normal? 
I was pulled over today for my first traffic stop in 20 years and did not receive this treatment stated in the paragragh below.

"Once the requirement of probable cause has been established the officer or officers will conduct a traffic stop. The operator will be approached and advised of the reason for the stop. A drivers license and vehicle registration will be requested and possibly proof of insurance. The officer will at this point either issue a citation for the infraction or issue a warning. The requested information will be returned to the operator and an explanation of the citation given ensuring the operator understands his or her responsibility and/or rights. After this has been done two directives are given. The first to drive safely and the second to have a nice day."

Yes, I was advised that I was speeding, and I handed my driver's license, registration, and insurance card to the officer, and I was respectful. After the officer returned with my warning, yes, I am very thankful, he proceeded to ask if I had piercings(how many), tattoos or other identifyable marks, my Social Security Number and the complete spelling of my middle name. And did not tell me to have a nice day! Instead he told me my record needed to be updated and my insurance would have my RECORD for 5 years!

As a mother (with single pierced ears, NO tattoos) to 2 young daughters that were on their way to soccer practice I was very upset that the officer was blunt and basically sexist!

Is this the proper?

Well, I have no idea as why that line of questioning unless you are in the system and the officer planned on updating any physical characteristics that are unique to you in our data base. It is not at all unusual for the data base to be updated. It protects you and gives us points of verifiable identification.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum