fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Parking On Private Property in Residential District
Post Parking On Private Property in Residential District 
I have a quick question.

My husband has had an arrangement with a local church in order to park his Semi-Truck (no trailer) there overnight for over three months now and we have never had any problem doing so. However, last night at 11:45pm, he was issued a $50 for "Parking in a residential district." As I read the statute and spoke with someone at the non-emergency line, two things pop out at me:

1) It generally applies to parking on a residential street AND

2) They are supposed to give 24 hours notice for us to correct the situation BEFORE giving the $50 ticket. This was not done in this case, or we would have corrected it.

We were entirely unaware of this law and are wondering how this applies to the situation due to the fact that he was parked solely on private property with the permission of the owner of the property.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

The information you received is correct. There should have been a 24-hour grace period to rectify the violation, "if there was a violation". I spoke to our Neighborhood Code and Enforcement office. I was informed that what comes into play here is how the church and neighborhood is classified. Code indicated that the church could have a variance that could very well allow for the vehicle to be parked there. Code went on to state that provided it was not parked on the street you indeed were to receive at minimum 24-hours notice

Post Parking On Church Property 
Since there is no date for court listed on the ticket, how would we go about contesting this ticket and/or getting it reviewed. Because neither of us have ever gotten a parking ticket or anything like it, we don't quite know the procedure for handling it.

The City's Clerk's office can assist you with the matter. 427-1221. Good Luck!

Post 72.23 PARKING IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS. 
(B) The following vehicles will not be permitted to be parked in said residential districts: semi-trucks, truck-tractors, farm tractors, road tractors, semitrailers, over-size vehicles; school buses, church buses; or inoperable automobiles, vans, motorcycles, recreation vehicles, campers, boats and trucks.

Where in this paragraph does it say violators parking semi tractors get a 24 hours notice, or warning prior to citation? Please review the ordinance I think you are mistaken.

You would indeed be correct if parked on a public street, however in this particular incident the vehicle is parked on private property which becomes a code violation governed by their dictates.

The code simply says "residential districts." That would include both public and private within the residential district as I read it. Does the person playing loud music on private property have to be given notice?

Understand FWPD only enforces the laws when applicable, we don't author them. With that said, sound waves travel, parked vehicles do not. I think you can see how the two don't compare.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum