fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Shut off box on car
Post Shut off box on car 
I have a friend who has a car from a car lot. When he is late with a payment they have some kind of box in his car that they can shut off from their main office and it renders his car immobile until he goes in to make a payment. I know someone else who was a dealer that had the same thing on his cars, and he was told that they were illegal and they made him take them out of his vehicles. Is that true?

Post RE: Shut off box on car 
I have never heard of such a device for that purpose. I'm sorry to say, I connot answer your question.

Is there any way that I can find out or that you could find out?

You might want to contact the dealership directly and inquire into the technology and then do a search on the Internet. The more I think about this, the more I'm not so sure something like this would be illegal. Water, power, gas, telephone, and cable companies all disconnect service when a subscriber is delinquent with payment, why would a dealership be excluded? Just a question.

I would think it could be illegal because... What if the person with the car was driving down the road and it was shut off causing an accident and possibly killing someone or many? I have heard of this device and questioned the legality many years ago.

The device in question is used to ensure the customer of the leased vehicle makes his payments on time. In regards to shutting down the vehicle while in motion, the device is unable to do that function, as you stated would be rather unsafe. The device is actually a starter disable. When the device is activated it prevents the vehicle from been started and driven, until the the payee has made the needed payments. In terms of been illegal, I think that answer is best left to the fine officers of FWPD.

Post Shut down boxes 
Not to post unnecessarily here but yes the boxes in question are legal and get the attention of the party who leased or purchased the vehicle. They are used commonly by "Buy Here/Pay Here" dealers. My reason for replying is a "friendly and respectful" caution to any one who buys from a "Buy Here/Pay Here".....hang on to your receipts please. This is for your benefit. Do not toss receipts into refuse container at the front door of the dealership. Dealership owner is betting that you will.

Weird, insane, crazy. How any deal could do that? Hey, don't play back door diplomacy. Go straight away say a BIG 'No' to this crazy pressure tactic. Pure illegitimacy, how it could be?

Absolutely no, I mean there is a grace period and few warning prior to this death phase.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum