fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
What Can You Do On A Red Arrow?
Post What Can You Do On A Red Arrow? 
I have seen a lot of the left turn traffic lights change from a solid red, to a red arrow. I'm assuming this means that you must come to a complete stop, but you may turn left when safe; is that right?

A Facebook friend recently asked this very same question. To my knowledge, nothing has changed in the traffic codes with regard to a red light, even if it is presented in the form of an arrow; a red light is red light, and to proceed when the light is red is to disregard an automatic signal.

Correct officer Foster....If you could turn left on red, it would be a flashing red light.

a red light is red light, and to proceed when the light is red is to disregard an automatic signal.

Only if you catch me!

Post Yes you can 
How about turning left from a one-way to another one-way on a solid red. Last I checked that was permittable, ie Northbound Lafayette to Westbound Washington Blvd.

Post Re: Yes you can 
One-way-yes wrote:
How about turning left from a one-way to another one-way on a solid red. Last I checked that was permittable, ie Northbound Lafayette to Westbound Washington Blvd.

You can make a left on red from a one way street to another; however, Lafayette does not have a left arrow because the lane does not regulate the operator to make a left. They can just proceed north. Just like a right on red, it holds true when you have no opposite traffic. In my experiences, most left green arrows, or left red arrows, generally regulate flow of traffic. Meaning if you have a left green arrow, and not a green light above it, then if traffic is clear, you can proceed. If you have a left red arrow, then stop behind the crosswalk. Proceed only once you receive a green arrow and after the intersection is clear. Proceeding into the intersection prior to that, would clearly be disregarding an automatic traffic signal.

Maybe I haven't seen it yet, but there would be no point putting a left green arrow on a one way street to another if the cross street didn't have traffic with the right of way.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum