fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
timeframe for paying expired plates ticket
Post timeframe for paying expired plates ticket 
I received a ticket for expired plates in December. I called the desk sargent that evening & was given a number to call. The next morning I renewed my plates, it was a Saturday. I called the number I was given & was adivsed I could go in person to pay the ticket or do it by mail and was given the appropriate information. Less then 30 days (it was 28 days) I mailed a money order & the ticket to the Clerk of Allen County as advised. Today I received a letter from the bureau of motor vehicles my license was suspended for not addressing this issue. The date on the ticket shows if I desired to take it to court my scheduled time was 10/1/2011. What is the timeframe for paying this type of ticket? Please respond as I've attempted to post several messages on this website and still don't find any listed. Thank you.

The date that is listed at the bottom of a UTT (Uniform Traffic Ticket) is actually the date set for your court appearance. The general practice is to allow for two weeks for the defendant to either pay the fine for the traffic violation or to appear in court on the date listed to respond to the complaint/violation. Some violations are actually misdemeanor offenses and a court appearance is required the following day. With misdemeanor traffic violations, the officer may elect to take the defendant into custody and to jail at the time of the citation.

If you take a closer look at that Indiana UTT, you will see two contact numbers listed just below the date of the court appearance. One number is for the Misdemeanor and Traffic Division of the Allen Superior Court, and the other is for the Infraction Deferred Program. For questions such as the due date or time frame to pay fees/fines, or court appearances one should contact the Misdemeanor and Traffic Division. I am not very familiar with the Infraction Deferred Program, and I do not have any information to share regarding that program.

As far as your Driver License being suspended, that is an issue that you will have to resolve with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Maybe the defendant was confused by the court date of 10/1/2011? If she looks closer at the bottom of the ticket where the court date is, the day is listed first, then the month, then year. If the numbers appear as 10 - 1 - 2011, then it would appear the court date is October 1, 2011, when in actuality, if you read the words in the box (day-10, month-1, year-2011), the court date is January 10, 2011. As long as the fine is paid BEFORE the court date, ones license will not be suspended, unless an error occurs. Maybe the defendant was late because she thought the court date was in October? Hope this helps.

Just out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that the defendant is female?

lol good catch and I couldn't tell you why except that while typing a response after reading the initial post and your response, I thought a female had written that; however, after reading it again, it doesn't say!

Although the guest's response to the initial post is correct she doesn't take into account what can or cannot be read on the defendant's ticket. I've had a few tickets and have had to inquire as to what's been written because the copy I received wasn't clear. The guest's response also sounds like she may be familier with law enforcement. Just thought I'd give a males novice take. Thanks

lol thanks guest#2! I'll be sure to press harder on future copies! This female appreciates the input so you won't be inconvenienced with your future tickets!

read the initial post & couldn't help notice the first guests response appears to be from an officer (with knowledge about tickets). what's not suprising is her response (she indicated being female) assuming the initial post author was female. thought there may be instruction at the academy regarding bias towards gender. not very professional to assume certain things. lol

wow - its amazing how much people read WAY too much into things where the last poster says its not professional for someone to assume something. ummm, really? people dont make mistakes when reading something then replying to something they thought was accurate? It's automatically blamed as being biased? wow - that's the problem with people, always looking to throw people under the bus and never giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. Grow up....must be nice being so perfect huh?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum