fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
"Gang Unit" serving child support body attachment?
Post "Gang Unit" serving child support body attachment? 
below is a letter i wrote and will be sending it to anyone who will read it at the police station:

To Whom It May Concern:

I know you must be extremely busy and I first want to thank you for taking the time to read this letter. My name is XXXXXX and I am contacting you with questions about the events that occurred on Wednesday, September, 19th, 2007. Four "Gang Unit" police officers came to my house at XXXXXXX Fort Wayne, IN. Two of them came to the front door and knocked at asked who I was and I answered them, they then asked who else lived at the home and I told them my mother, brother, his girlfriend, and their little boy. They asked me to go get my brother and so I headed down to the den to get him when I was surprised to see him in cuffs on the back patio and one of the officers yelled at me to stay put. I went to return back upstairs to notify the other officers that my brother was in custody out back and they were gone.

My family was shocked about what just happed because our lawyer had been in contact with the prosecuting attorney and my brother already wrote a letter to Judge XXXX stating that an undisclosed amount of money would be paid on Friday, September, 21st 2007. When one of the officers was leaving I asked him why he was being arrested and he informed me he still had a body attachment, so I asked why the City Police Gang Unit was serving the warrant instead of the sheriff's department. He replied "We were tipped off that he was here" and I asked him "Well why wouldn't he be here, he lives here?"

There are various questions we all have now regarding this incident and we are all concerned that the mother was involved in this or her attorney was. The only conclusions we could come up with were:

a) Someone called XXXXX in as a wanted gang member
b) Their attorney notified the police to come arrest XXXX
c) The "Gang Unit" was doing a favor for the attorney or the plaintiffs

Like I said before this matter was going to be resolved Friday, September, 21st and it would seem someone got wind of this and wanted to see XXXXXX in jail before the money was paid. Having 2 police squad cars and 4 police officers surrounding the house was very humiliating and by the demeanor of the officers made it seem like they were told our family, that has "Grandma's House" on the mailbox, was dangerous.

Today Thursday, September, 20th, 2007 I went down and paid an undisclosed amount and XXXXXX was released from jail. While going through the process of getting him out, I asked everyone that I spoke to if the events that happened the night before were "normal" and not to my surprise they were all shocked that for one he was picked up at home on a warrant issued for child support only days before and two that it was the City Police, not to mention the "Gang Unit". I have come to you to ask for help to try and understand why this happened the way it did. Please contact me as soon as you can so we will be able to explain this to Judge XXXXX when we go for court.

Thank You,

You have addressed many areas and I hope your questions are answered with the following comments. If for some reason they are not answered fully please call the office of Professional Standards. Keep in mind also I am unfamilliar with your exact situation so the answers will be general in nature.

The FWPD Gang unit is made up of officers who focus on the suppression of gang activity. The unit during each days activities may respond to any normal incident that is dispatched even if it is not Gang related. So your incident could possibly be part of this type of response. If you feel it was not you could contact the Sgt of the unit at 260-427-2203 to look into the incident for you.
As to City officers serving warrants...Warrants are served by city officers on a daily basis. This is not a county specific duty. Any law enforcement officer can take a warrant suspect into custody and deliver them to the county for an issued warrant at any time once the warrant is confirmed by the issuing agency after the suspect is placed into custody.

yes i am aware that city police serve warrants as well but from what i have been told is that arent usually aren't given a warrant for this type of case and especially the "Gang Unit". i personally feel this was a favor done for the attorney or the plantiff's knowing that the warrant would be lifted within 24 hours so they needed to act fast. when the officer told me "they recieved a tip" i had to laugh to myself and think: That's funny i didnt think the police worked on commision Razz

i greatly appreciate the information you provided and will be calling them monday.

thank you

i called a few of the numbers you suggested friday afternoon but they were all closed, i wasn't however able to find a numer for the Professional Standards division you mentioned.

do you have a number or email for them?

are the before mentioned groups available via email as well?

Monday thru Friday 8-4 are normal hours for administrative offices. Call 427-1230 during these times and they can transfer you. Please leave messages if noone is immediately available.

For the Gang Unit messages are the order of business as they are rarely in the office.

The police department receives tips every day that range from people with warrants, drunk drivers, suspended drivers, people selling drugs and so on. A tip about a person with a warrant is most common and is most always from someone who knows the person with the warrant . If the warrant is active then a call is generated and officers have to respond. You might get a district officer, a motorcycle traffic officer, a supervisor, a K9 officer, or even a gang officer if they are close. None of the officers get a commison for serving a warrant but you do have a good idea since there are something like 12,000 - 15,000 active warrants in this county.

Slow down there cowboy, too many officers have overgrown egos as it is. Paying commission for serving warrants will only incubate those overgrown egos into a full blown God-complex. I must respectfully disagree that this is a good idea.

Also, the fact that some cops are underpaid, and some need to take second shifts to help supplement income. This has already caused negligence, specifically in PA where the death of a police dog was the outcome of taking another security job, and left his k-9 in the car. The safety mechanism to keep the car cool failed and the dog was lost.

This would be possibly an even bigger problem for cops to compete to track down more warrants for more money. So i'd agree this is all around a bad idea.

Micro SD Card
Pet insurance
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum