fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Reporting threats against police
Post Reporting threats against police 
Is it possible to report a local blog that advocates shooting police and members of local government? How far does free speech go before it is criminal activity? I know this person had a gun at one point. I'm not sure if they still do or not, but I'd hate to have something awful happen and feel like I could have helped prevent it.

Please, do report this. Call the non-emergency number 427-1222.

Post Why has no one responded? 
Yes, I understand your concern! Why is no one responding? After what happened in Arizona you would think something would be done!

Post This deserves an answer 
I agree this is a problem! Look what happened in Arizona!

Yes, it is possible to report such a blog that advocates shooting police or members of local government, and I strongly urge you to do so. You may report any such activity to your local law enforcement agency. For the Fort Wayne Police Department, you should call the non-emergency line at 260 427-1222.

I am not well versed on when free speech becomes criminal activity, but as a law enforcement officer, I want to know about a blog/blogger that is advocating for my death or injury. This activity or behavior has the potential to escalate to violence. We have seen too many tragedies recently involving law enforcement officers and members of government. As I am certain you are aware, just last month six people were killed in the shooting rampage in Arizona during an open meeting held by US Representative Gabby Giffords. Later that same month and closer to home, we learned of Indianapolis Police Officer David Moore who was shot in the face during a traffic stop and subsequently died. I believe that if you learn of or come across information that an officer or member of government might be in danger, it is your duty to report it. It seems, by some of the other posts on this topic, that others would agree. And even if we cannot pursue a case or charges, then at the very least we have obtained the information.

Here is an interesting article I read recently in the The Journal Gazette by reporter Rebecca S. Green, Letters lead to Federal Charges:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110224/LOCAL03/302249979

Thank you for the post.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum