fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Chaos in school area during drop-off and pickup
Post Chaos in school area during drop-off and pickup 
I live behind Glenwood Park Elementary, which has a stated policy for drop-off and pickup of "car riders" -- that being ONLY use of the parking lot at the front of the school.

Every morning and afternoon, at least a couple dozen parents use the dead-end of Victoria Drive -- right in front of my house -- to drop off and pick up their children. The street is generally in chaos in the mornings between 8:30 and 8:50, as parents pull up, jockeying for position, and their children jump out before the parents use my driveway or my neighbor's driveway across the street to turn around and peel away. Many of these parents appear to be in a huge hurry and show no regard for the safety of the kids who walk along that route to get to school (I've told my child and her friends to only walk in my yard because the street is too dangerous). It's scary.

In the afternoons, about 3:10, the parents show up and again jockey for a parking position (where there are three signs that state there is to be NO parking between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. on school days). There are typically about 12 parents waiting along both sides of the street, as others pull in and attempt to park or turn around in the driveways. Occasionally parents will assume it's just fine to park in either driveway to wait. All the while, kids are walking home from school, and often are in the middle of the street, adding to the confusion as parents pull in and leave.

I've talked to the principal of the school, and he has tried to send home letters. We both have notified Parking Control. But unless a parking officer is free between 3:10 and 3:30 (which to date, has never happened) no one can be ticketed. And in the mornings, as parents scream in and out of the dead-end street, I can't see any law they're breaking; however, I believe they are creating a nuisance and endangering schoolchildren.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this craziness before a child gets run over?

I have contacted our officers in this area to be on the lookout and too I have contacted the FWCS security office as well.

Post Chaos in school area during drop-off and pickup 
Thanks, Mike. Parking Control was here this afternoon, and said she'd be here Monday morning and afternoon, too. Parents are not happy. Mainly because this morning, I was outside taking pictures of all the craziness. I was called a few choice names (not nice ones) and one parent came back and took my picture.

Then this afternoon the Parking Control officer warned them they'd be cited if they park along Victoria or Glencairn.

...It's not a large stretch to think I'll probably be the target of some retribution. Any chance we could have an officer occasionally patrol through this neighborhood at night over the next few days? Thanks. Oh! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Glenwood school officials have penned a letter reminding parents of the danager caused by this situation which has been sent home with their students.
I have been in contact with one of our officers who patrols this area and he will address the matter too.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum