fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
question regarding officer ethical issue
Post question regarding officer ethical issue 
Officer Joyner:
I happened to stop at a gas station at the corner of Anthony and Tillman the other day. When I got there, there were 3 FWPD vehicles parked out front (two of them illegally - one in an unmarked space and another in a handicapped space). When I went inside to make my purchase, all 3 officers were standing around talking and buying scratch off lottery tickets. They would lose, buy more, lose again, buy more, etc. I was there for about 10 minutes watching this happen. I further witnessed one of the officers go and get a cup, fill it with soda, drink it and NOT pay for it.

I find this highly disturbing. Are our tax dollars going to pay for 3 different officers to scratch lottery tickets and drink free soda? I find it hard to believe that there is no crime that needs fighting in the southeast area of town at any given time. Especially considering I watched 1 person run a red light as I was leaving the gas station. Would have been nice to see them get pulled over and ticketed, but alas - the officers were too busy gambling and stealing soda to do their jobs.

I'm not saying that FWPD officers don't deserve a break. But how is it okay for them to gamble in uniform and essentially steal soda while on their break? Just because you are a police officer doesn't give you the right to take what you want for free.

You certainly have the right to file a complaint with our Office of Professional Standards better known as Internal Affairs concerning the matter. They can be reached at 427-1424.
With respect to the lottery tickets it is legal to play purchase and possess them as long as one is 18 years or older. I agree with you that if the officers were standing around for several minutes playing them while on duty it does not set a good example for all to see.
We appreciate your concern and willingness to participate. THANK YOU!

The officer's did NOT "take what they wanted for free". This service-station allows officers to have soda and coffee while on their break as a courtesy that is paid for by the station so please do not assume they are "stealing".

There are many stations that offer the same thing. I feel much safer frequenting a station when Officers frequent there as well.

Actually I suffered from Domestic violence at one time and while fleeing my home drove to the nearest station where Officers typically stopped for Coffee. I am still very grateful they were there to help me.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum