fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Magazine Sales Scam Alert
Post Magazine Sales Scam Alert 
Saturday afternoon my doorbell rang, at the door was a young caucasian male in his early twenties, red hair, 5' 10" to 6" in height, wearing jeans and a white shirt with colored squiggly lines.

This person of interest was posing to be a neighbor who's "mom wanted him to come around and meet the neighbors". He then proceeded to explain that he was raising money to study abroad in Ireland and he was selling magazine subscriptions to help fund his studies. He then asked if I had a table he could lay out his materials to show me, which is right off my entry way. After he entered my home he immediately sat down and started his high pressure hype.

I asked him where he lived and the best he could do was tell me "down the street man" I live with my dad in Florida and my mom wanted me to come and talk to her neighbors because I don't have any down there" He also made mention that "man the farther down the street I go, the people keep getting weirder and weirder"

After looking over the prices of the magazines and evaluating the situation it was apparent that this person was trying to scam me as his stories were not adding up. He then stated that "You can donate to a charity and then they would send magazines to them if I didn't find a particular magazine that I liked, and then I would sign this slip so his mother knew that he was NICE to me and make the check out to DSS or DEI" I told him I was not interested and he insisted that he wasn't going to leave me along until I bought something in a some what creepy and joking tone, and if I helped him get to the 1000 point level ($198) he would come mow my yard and something to the effect that he makes some mean hot pockets.

I told him that I had people coming over and that if he wanted to come back the following day (Sunday) that I might be able to help him out. He then pulled out an attitude and stated that "man come on and help me out, I am got church tomorrow and I am trying to get this done today" I found this the weakest of the story when I asked him where it was that he went to church, in which he said some woman's name and proceeded to tell me "my mom worships this lady and we watch her on TV" Needless to say, he was reluctant to leave but after seeing the billy club hanging on the closet door near my entry way he left and mumbled "A$$ Hole" while he was about 15 feet into my front lawn.

I found the following articles on similar scams:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080120234822AAVIaal
http://www.imjosh.com/2006/07/12/door-to-door-magazine-sales-scam/

I will be speaking with my neighbors tomorrow after work to see if any of them bought anything from this person in question.

Has anything been reported to the FWPD regarding this type of Scam? If I can be of any assistance, please post a number to call and I will do my best to help the local authorities.

~ Concerned Citizen

Just a high pressure attitude, he didn't want to leave until he got his way.

Nothing reported that I can determine. I did check with the city office that issues permits and the young lady with whom I spoke did say that she issued three permits to three individuals from England that were planning to canvass Fort Wayne selling subscriptions.

Is it a requirement for door to door sales people to have a permit, when selling things such as magazines, sweepers, security systems, ect. to have a permit?

It is provided that they "do not" have a store front in the County or in the City.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum