fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Electric Scooters
Post Electric Scooters 
Could someone please tell me what the local laws are regarding the use, age requirements, etc. for motorized and electric scooters. My son has been asking for an electric scooter or a moped, but, I didn't want to buy one for him unless I was certain that he could use it legally. Thanks.

Motorized bicycles; prohibitions on operation; conditions
Sec. 12. A motorized bicycle may not be operated under any of

the following conditions:
(1) By a person less than fifteen (15) years of age.
(2) By a person who has not obtained an identification card under IC 9-24, a permit under IC 9-24, an operator's license under IC 9-24, a chauffeur's license under IC 9-24, or a public passenger chauffeur's license under IC 9-24.
(3) On an interstate highway or a sidewalk.
(4) At a speed greater than twenty-five (25) miles per hour.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

IC 9-21-11-13
Persons under 18 years of age; operation of motorized bicycle; safety equipment
Sec. 13. A person less than eighteen (18) years of age who operates or rides a motorized bicycle on a street or highway shall do the following:
(1) Wear protective headgear meeting the minimum standards set by the bureau or a helmet that meets the standards established by the United States Department of Transportation under 49 CFR 571.218 in effect January 1, 1979.
(2) Wear protective glasses, goggles, or a transparent face shield.

IC 9-21-11-14
Violations; Class C infraction
Sec. 14. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

Curious thread... I have been dodging kids on scooters (and more now than ever) without plates, helmets or other safety gear..

I have been told that any machine 50cc or less is exempt...

According to the above, they need to be 15 or older?
Wear eye protection?

Actually they can not exceed 49cc. Must be a straight atuo transmission and in terms of MPH, they can not motor more than 25mph.

Post SCOOTER LAW ENFORCEMENT 
I HAVE CONCERNS OVER THE SUBJECT MENTIONED ABOVE. I LIVE OUT IN THE GEORGETOWN AREA AND I HAVE A SON WHO REALLY WANTED A SCOOTER FOR HIS BIRTHDAY. I WASN'T SURE ABOUT IT SO I DID SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT WHAT THE LAW IS AND I WAS SURPRISED TO FIND OUT THAT THE RULES ARE CLEARLY STATED.
UNDER THE CODE IC 9-21-11-12 THE MAIN ISSUES I HAVE ARE 1) THERE ARE SO MANY KIDS WHO ARE UNDER 15 DRIVING THE SCOOTERS, WHY ISN'T THE LAW ENFORCED? 2) PEOPLE WHO SELL THE SCOOTERS TO A PERSON SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A FORM THAT VERIFIES THE AGE OF THE OWNER OR PRIMARY "SCOOTERIST" 3) PARENTS NEED TO BE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO SAY NO IF THE KID IS UNDER THE REQUIRED AGE. IF THEY STILL ALLOW THE PRE TEEN OR UNDER 15 AGE KID HAVE A SCOOTER.THE CHARGE SHOULD BE WHAT THE LAW STATES. IT IS A CLASS C INFRACTION.
I DO NOT SEE ANY DIFFERANCE THEN ENFORCING UNDER AGE DRINKING. IT IS THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCE AND RISK THAT THE PARENTS ARE ALLOWING THEIR KIDS TO HAVE THE SCOOTERS EVEN WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL. I KNOW OF A 14 YEAR OLD WHO WAS IN AN ACCIDENT AND HAD TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. HE HAD A MILD CONCUSSION BUT HE WORE A HELMET.AND ONE MORE THING IS THE REQUIREMENT THAT A PERSON RIDING A SCOOTER NEEDS TO HAVE AN APPROPRIATE ID UNDER IC9-24. I KNOW THE POLICE ARE BUSY WITH MANY THINGS, BUT THE SAFTEY OF THE BOY OR GIRL WHO WANTS A SCOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HIGH PRIORITY. IT'LL BE A BIG MESS IF SOMEONE'S CHILD IS HURT OR KILLED AND THEN TO HAVE A PARENT FIND OUT WHAT THE LAW STATES. I JUST WORRY ABOUT THE SAFTEY. MY SON JUST TURNED 15 ON JUNE 19 AND HE TOOK DRIVERS ED,AND HAS A STAE ISSUED PERMIT. I AM JUST GLAD THAT I TOOK THE TIME TO DO THE RESEARCH FIRST.

Point of concern well made. All law enforcement agencies do enforce the statute 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

I too am in the Georgetown area and it is a problem.. the kids are also running around Arlington park on "go peds" (motorized skateboards) and minibikes..

about half are without helmets as well... how is it they can get around the financial responsibility of these vehicles if they are in a crash?

Some how this whole issue of scooters/mopeds and alike has been allowed to operate under the radar scope of Indiana Law Makers. Let your elected officials know how concerned you are for the safety of our youth with regards to this matter.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum