fwpd.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Carrying loaded gun
Post Carrying loaded gun 
Is it ok to carry a gun w/ one in the chamber? Heard a "rumor" that only people involved with in legal field (police, judges, lawyers) can keep a round chambered.

As long as you have received a permit to carry a handgun you are well within your right to have a round chambered. Many carry revolvers...

I can only add one thing to officer Mike's reply, and that is having the hammer on a live round becomes more of a SAFETY issue, especially for the handler of the firearm. Much depends on the trigger pull of the weapon concerned. I've heard of weapons discharging when being DRAWN...not a good thing.
If you think you NEED that extra round, fine, but it's always better to "err" on the side of caution. That will prevent an accident from occurring.

P.B.

Post Caution 
I agree. I once carried and wound up preferring revolvers. I always keep the cylinder forward of the hammer empty. If you need more fire power, carry speed loaders. Rugers and Smiths have the transfer safety bar between the hammer and firing pin but I won't trust my safety or anyone elses to that.

I can only add one thing to officer Mike's reply, and that is having the hammer on a live round becomes more of a SAFETY issue, especially for the handler of the firearm. Much depends on the trigger pull of the weapon concerned. I've heard of weapons discharging when being DRAWN...not a good thing.
If you think you NEED that extra round, fine, but it's always better to "err" on the side of caution. That will prevent an accident from occurring.

P.B.

I can throw my hand gun on the ground full force with one in the chamber, cocked, with no safey and I'm god all day.

If your weapon is discharging while drawn, either your holster or finger discipline is doody.

As far as "NEEDING" that extra round....no.....I NEED by firearm to go bang the first time I pull the trigger.

NOT, "Wait one moment kind sir while I rack a round in my chamber." Most altercations are split second fast and point blank, my finger is the ultimate safety.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum