Front Desk Hours:

  • Call 260-427-2020
  • Hours for in-person access: 6:30 A.M. – 10:30 P.M.
    To file a report in person, picking up incident reports, background checks, and permits.

Emergency Calls:

DIAL ‘911’
These are high priority calls requiring an officer immediately. Examples are robbery, battery, domestic battery, car accident, any crime in the process of being committed, disturbance, party armed with a weapon, suspicious people or vehicle, fights, shooting, stabbing, rape, suicide, fire, explosion, missing child, etc.

Tele-Service (Phone) Reports:

Call 260-427-1340
These reports can be taken over the phone 24 hrs. a day/7 days a week.
Examples of Teleservice reports are as follows: vandalism, theft from a vehicle, unauthorized use of a credit card/number, theft from yards, theft from unattached garages or sheds, fail to pay, theft of a bicycle, theft from Commercial storage facilities, theft from a home where no force entry occurred, identity theft, scam reports, vending machine thefts, lost property reports, violation of a protective order older than 24 hours- no evidence can be collected & the other party is not one the scene.

How do I complete a local criminal history request?

Please visit the Police Desk to complete a local criminal history request, a valid picture ID is required.

The fee is $7.00.

Acceptable forms of ID include: Valid State ID Card or Driver’s License, Valid Military ID Card, Valid passport with the Homeland Security Seal stamped.

How do I obtain a police report?

Police reports can be obtained at the Police Desk and are 10 cents ($0.10) per page. A Valid ID is required to obtain the report. A Public Access request forms are also available and processed by the supervisor.

How do I obtain an accident report?

Accident reports are available online at and at the Police Desk 24 hours after the accident occurred. The fee is $12.00 online and at the Police Desk (if printed out).

How can I acquire accident and police photos?

All accident/police photos are $30.00 per DVD. A public access request is required to be completed. Insurance companies are required to request the photos on company letter head.  The requests must include the control/incident number.

What is the process for acquiring a gun permit?

The application must be completed online @

The application, finger printing appointment and state fee are all completed online  The FWPD will require the fingerprint receipt to move forward with the local process.  The applicant is required to live inside the City limits and have a valid picture ID with the same address used on the application.

  • State fees
    •  A 4-year permit is $40.00
    • New Lifetime permit is $75.00
    • Fingerprinting fee $11.95 by online appointment only


  • Local fees
    •  A 4 -year permit is $10.00
    • Renew permit for a Lifetime permit is $40.00
    • A new Lifetime is $50.00
    • Cash only for all local fees.

The Indiana State Police gun permit number is # 1-317-232-8264. To change an address on a gun permit or report a permit lost and request a new permit you must go online at

The entire application process can take weeks or up to 6 months or more.

Requesting fingerprinting services

  • The Local ink fingerprinting fee is $7.00 per card and can be done at the Police Desk. A valid form of identification is required.
  • Electronic finger printing is completed through Morpho Trust (formerly L1) and requires an appointment. Morpho Trust can be contacted at # 1-877-472-6917.
  • Immigration Prints:
    • Immigration will send paperwork with the directions on when and where to obtain prints. Immigration can be contacted at 1-800-375-5283.

Arrest/Jail inquiries

For any information on whether or not someone was arrested, contact 260-449-8314. For inmate housing or jail visitation information, please contact the Allen County Jail at 260-449-7376.

Vehicle release information

Vehicle releases can be obtained at the Police Desk.

Vehicles are released to the registered owner: If plates are valid and registered to the owner, then a valid state issued ID or driver’s license is required to obtain the release form.  If plates are more than 30 days expired, then a valid title along with valid photo ID are required for the release or updated plates and registration from the BMV.  If the registered owner resides in another state or several hours away or is out of town, a notarized letter giving permission to someone to obtain the vehicle release- including all vehicle information (year, make, model, and VIN number) is required.  A police photo or mug shot can be used on a release of a vehicle- in the case of a recent OWI arrest.  If the registered owner is medically unable to obtain the vehicle, a notarized statement is required or valid POA paperwork that includes information regarding said vehicle.  If the registered owner is deceased, a copy of the death certificate listing next of kin and paperwork naming the executor of the deceased’s estate is required.  In all circumstances a valid photo ID is required.   An expired ID is considered invalid.

Vehicles released to the lien holder will need the following: Title stating who is the lien holder, a completed application for title (ready to be taken to the BMV), BMV repossession paperwork   (ready to be taken to the BMV), and a hold harmless agreement (signed by representative of financial inst.) Proof owner is behind on payments (payment log, copy of letter or any type of paperwork notifying owner they are in default, Letter authorizing driver of transport company to sign & pick up vehicle/or a rep from financial company, Driver must have valid ID and/or proof he is representing the transport company.

Vehicles with a Hit/Skip Hold

Contact the following numbers for an appointment: 1-260-427-1318. The owner of the vehicle should be prepared to provide the control number and /or the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and plate number.

Accident vehicle towing

All FWPD accident vehicles are tow to Parker’s Wrecker @ 260-483-4913,unless requested by the owner to have vehicle towed by another company.

Reporting stolen or lost license plates

Reports must be made to the Police Desk. The owner of the plate must have a valid ID and a copy of the vehicle registration to complete the stolen/lost plate form. The BMV form is available at the Police Desk.  Employees reporting a business plate as stolen or lost must have a notarized letter on company letterhead authorizing the employee to complete the BMV replacement form.

Custody inquires

Custody inquiries can be directed to 260-427-1340. Most child custody issues are considered civil issues, not criminal. To file an informational report for documentation purposes, custody must be established by the court and a docket number are both required to complete a report. On the weekend, citizens can complete their own custody reports at the police desk.

Parking control inquiries

All parking questions can be directed to the City of Fort Wayne’s 311 Call Center.

In Allen County call: 311
For General Information: 260-427-8311
Outside of Allen County call: 260-427-8311

Mailing address:
Citizens Square
200 East Berry St., Suite 425
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Or visit for additional details

Animal control inquiries

All animal care & control questions can be directed to the City of Fort Wayne’s 311 Call Center.

In Allen County call: 311
For General Information: 260-427-8311
Outside of Allen County call: 260-427-8311

Mailing address:
Citizens Square
200 East Berry St., Suite 425
Fort Wayne, IN 46802

Or visit for additional details

Reporting a drug house

Drug house information can be reported to the Drug House hotline number at 260-427-1262 or can be submitted online at:

Fireworks Ordinance


No person within the corporate boundaries of the city shall use, ignite or discharge or permit to be used, ignited or discharged any type of consumer fireworks on any other day or time other than the following:

(A) June 29, June 30, July 1, July 2, July 3, July 5, July 6, July 7, July 8, July 9 between the hours of 5:00 p.m. to two hours after sunset;

(B) Day before Memorial Day, Memorial Day, July 4, day before Labor Day and Labor Day between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight;

(C) Between the hours of 10:00 a.m. on December 31 and 1:00 a.m. on January 1;

(D) No other date or time is permitted for use of consumer fireworks.