The Fort Wayne Police Department application period has closed. Please check back periodically for updates on new Basic Recruit and Lateral classes.
If you have already applied to the 63rd Basic Recruit Class or the 18th Lateral Class, please click here to receive additional process information.
- Patrol Officer
- Investigative Detectives
- Vice/Narcotics Detective
- Hit/Run Accident Inv.
- Internal Affairs Inv.
- Public Information Officer
- Canine Officer
- Academy Instructor
- School Resource Officer
- Hispanic Liaison Officer
- Crisis Intervention Officer/Team
- Explosive Ordinance Disposal Inv.
- Crime Scene Technician
- Critical Response Team
- Emergency Services Team
- Inter-agency Task Force Member
- Honor Guard
- Pipe Band
ENTRANCE FITNESS STANDARDS*:
- Sit-ups: 25 or more (in one minute or less)
- Push-ups: 21 or more (‘male style’ push-ups without stopping)
- Vertical jump: 14” or higher (three attempts allowed)
- 300 meter run: 82 seconds (or less)
- 1.5 mile run: 17:30 (or less)
*Standards increase prior to exit of the Basic Recruit Class
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical fitness test.
- 21-35 years of age at time of appointment.
- U.S. Citizen.
- High School Diploma, the equivalent, or a G.E.D.; education beyond high school preferred.
- Correctable vision to 20-30 in each eye.
- Meet residency requirement consistent with Indiana statue (live in Allen County or adjacent Indiana county upon academy graduation).
- Indiana motor vehicle operator’s license required.
- Physically and mentally able to perform essential job functions of the patrol officer position.
- Good moral character and free of any convictions involving felonious criminal activity or domestic battery.
- Accrued days- based on years of service
- Paid Holidays
- Personal Days
- State Pension:
- 20 years of service; State administered pension– collectable at age 52. City contributes entire pension costs.
- City-paid life insurance & City-paid accidental death insurance; several health insurance options available.
- Probationary Officer pay (1st year): $47,758.36
- Patrol Officer pay (after 1st year): $53,064.96
- 2nd shift bonus: $3,300
- 3rd shift bonus: $6,300
- Longevity bonus
- Education bonus
- Uniform allowance: All initial uniforms and equipment furnished at time of hire. Body armor and weapon also provided.
- FWPD has a take home vehicle program.