The Fort Wayne Police Department is not currently accepting online applications for PATROL OFFICERS.
Please check back periodically for updates.
CLICK HERE to access hiring & career information.
If you have the desire to work in a law enforcement career and for a professional organization, then you may want to consider the Fort Wayne Police Department as your future employer. The City of Fort Wayne is located in northeast Indiana, and is the second largest in the state. The City encompasses an area of about 110.67 square miles with a population of approximately 258,522 people. Fort Wayne‘s cultural climate is increasingly diverse. The Department welcomes applicants from multiple perspectives, diverse backgrounds, varied skill sets, and creative insights. The Fort Wayne Police Department is a full-service, highly sophisticated professional agency. It has an authorized strength of 460 sworn officers. Through innovative leadership and dedication to providing quality services, our Department maximizes its resources to provide a high quality work environment . We give our officers the same respect and concern that we expect them to show all citizens they contact in the line of duty.
ENVISION A FUTURE WITH THE FORT WAYNE POLICE DEPARTMENT
What to Expect– Learn more about the selection process overview, basic recruit process, lateral process, benefits, salary, fitness standards, and minimum requirements.
- Air SupportUnit
- Patrol Officer
- Investigative Detectives
- Vice/Narcotics Detective
- Hit/Run Accident Inv.
- Internal Affairs Inv.
- Public Information Officer
- Canine Officer
- Academy Instructor
- School Resource Officer
- Multicultural Liaison Officer
- Crisis Intervention Officer/Team
- Explosive Ordinance Disposal Inv.
- Crime Scene Technician
- Critical Response Team
- Emergency Services Team
- Inter-agency Task Force Member
- Honor Guard
- Pipe Band
ENTRANCE FITNESS STANDARDS*:
- Sit-ups: 25 or more (in one minute or less)
- Push-ups: 21 or more (‘male style’ push-ups without stopping)
- Vertical jump: 14” or higher (three attempts allowed)
- 300 meter run: 82 seconds (or less)
- 1.5 mile run: 17:30 (or less)
*Standards increase prior to exit of the Basic Recruit Class
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical fitness test.
- 21-35 years of age at time of appointment.
- U.S. Citizen.
- High School Diploma, the equivalent, or a G.E.D.; education beyond high school preferred.
- Correctable vision to 20-30 in each eye.
- Meet residency requirement consistent with Indiana statue (live in Allen County or adjacent Indiana county upon academy graduation).
- Indiana motor vehicle operator’s license required.
- Physically and mentally able to perform essential job functions of the patrol officer position.
- Good moral character and free of any convictions involving felonious criminal activity or domestic battery.
- Accrued days- based on years of service
- Paid Holidays
- Personal Days
- State Pension:
- 20 years of service; State administered pension– collectable at age 52. City contributes entire pension costs.
- City-paid life insurance & City-paid accidental death insurance; several health insurance options available.
- 1st year: $24.8463 hr/$51,680.20 annual gross
- 2nd year: $27.6070 hr/$57,422.56 annual gross
- 2nd shift bonus: $3,300
- 3rd shift bonus: $6,300
- Longevity bonus
- Education bonus
- Uniform allowance: All initial uniforms and equipment furnished at time of hire. Body armor and weapon also provided.
- FWPD has a take home vehicle program.